![]() |
| Photo by Derek Smith |
What My Blog is About:
My name is Kalyn Denny and Kalyn's Kitchen is the home-cooking blog I started in 2005 when I'd lost over 40 pounds on the South Beach Diet and wanted to share my recipes with the world. Now fast forward over ten years later, and I'm still focused on healthy cooking and have transitioned from teaching elementary school to life as a full-time food blogger. I'm focused on low-carb cooking, especially recipes suitable for weight-loss or controlling blood sugar. Although not every single recipe here is ultra low carb, all the recipes on the site are geared towards carb-conscious eating and many thousands of people per day use this site as a source for the deliciously healthy low-carb recipes that I love to create.
Support for the South Beach Diet:
Because The South Beach Diet was so life-changing for me, I've always tried to make this site a resource for other people who are following it. You can read more about that on the page for South Beach Diet / Low Carb Information and Resources. I've featured some of my favorite South Beach Diet Phase One Recipes for Phase One Fridays.
What Other Diets are My Recipes Suitable For?
Not everyone who likes my recipes is following the South Beach Diet, so I try to make my blog useful for people following other types of diet as well. You can use photo-index pages for the following diet types:
My name is Kalyn Denny and Kalyn's Kitchen is the home-cooking blog I started in 2005 when I'd lost over 40 pounds on the South Beach Diet and wanted to share my recipes with the world. Now fast forward over ten years later, and I'm still focused on healthy cooking and have transitioned from teaching elementary school to life as a full-time food blogger. I'm focused on low-carb cooking, especially recipes suitable for weight-loss or controlling blood sugar. Although not every single recipe here is ultra low carb, all the recipes on the site are geared towards carb-conscious eating and many thousands of people per day use this site as a source for the deliciously healthy low-carb recipes that I love to create.
Support for the South Beach Diet:
Because The South Beach Diet was so life-changing for me, I've always tried to make this site a resource for other people who are following it. You can read more about that on the page for South Beach Diet / Low Carb Information and Resources. I've featured some of my favorite South Beach Diet Phase One Recipes for Phase One Fridays.
What Other Diets are My Recipes Suitable For?
Not everyone who likes my recipes is following the South Beach Diet, so I try to make my blog useful for people following other types of diet as well. You can use photo-index pages for the following diet types:
Low Carb The lowest carb recipes on the site.
South Beach Diet Phase One Recipes I feel would be suitable for Phase One of the South Beach Diet.
South Beach Diet Phase Two Recipes I feel would be suitable for Phase Two of the South Beach Diet.
Phase One Fridays SBD Phase One Recipes featured for a Phase One Fridays post.
Can be Paleo Dairy-Free and Grain-Free recipes that are Paleo or Whole 30 or can be with correct ingredients.
Dairy Free Recipes with no dairy products.
Gluten Free Gluten-Free recipes.
Meatless Monday Recipes that have been featured in a Meatless Monday post.
Meatless Both Vegetarian and Vegan.
Vegan Recipes with no meat or animal products.
What Other Labels Can Help Find Recipes of a Certain Type?
Besides the diet-specific labels mentioned above, you can also find labels for my personal Favorites, recipes that Can Freeze, recipes that are Easy to Cook, Kid Friendly recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, and recipes I've featured with only Five Ingredients.
More Information That May Be Helpful:
Still have questions? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions which might answer them. And if not, here's more about How to Contact Kalyn.
More Information That May Be Helpful:
Still have questions? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions which might answer them. And if not, here's more about How to Contact Kalyn.
How Kalyn's Kitchen Got Started
Often people ask me how I started the blog, and Kalyn's Kitchen actually began with an offhand remark made by my brother Rand. One day in early 2005 I was complaining about how hard it was to keep up with friends asking for recipes, and he said, "Maybe you should just put your recipes on a blog." At that time I had no idea there were people on the internet writing about food, and certainly could never have imagined how food blogging would ultimately change my life.
My Family is the Greatest
My talented brother Rand still does all the graphics and headers for the blog, and Kalyn's Kitchen certainly wouldn't be the same without him. (Thanks Rand!) He's also a willing taste tester whenever he makes a visit to Utah. I also have eight more brothers and sisters who do a lot to enrich my life. Thanks to my sisters, brothers, sister-in-laws, and brother in laws Sandee, Clayton, Pam, Kelly, Mark, Lisa, Janet, Dave, Amy, Laurel, Carl, Vida, Dan, Val, and Jon for all they do for me. There are also 39 nieces and nephews and more than 70 great-nieces and nephews who occasionally make an appearance on the blog, including my nephew Jake and my niece Kara, who are my cooking assistants on a regular basis.
My Life Before Blogging
In my previous life I had a business organizing catered houseboat trips at Utah's Lake Powell. That was a lot of trips to Lake Powell, but for my day job, I was an elementary school teacher for 30 years, and it's always fun when former students find me through the blog. During my teaching career I served as President of the Davis Education Association, and was also a board member of the Utah Education Association and the National Education Association. I retired from teaching in 2009 to become a full-time food blogger.
Other Blogging Adventures
In addition to working on Kalyn's Kitchen I also curate from-scratch slow cooker recipes for my other blog Slow Cooker from Scratch, and since 2006 I've been writing about food at BlogHer.com. I'm a big fan of the BlogHer organization and am proud of my association with them. I was the moderator of a panel on The Art of Food Blogging at BlogHer Conference 2007 and participated in a panel about Food Blogging Best Practices at BlogHerFood 2009. I was also on a panel about Secrets of Successful Food Blogging at SXSW Interactive 2009, a panel about Food Blogging: Beyond the Basics at the IACP Conference in 2011, and a session on Building Blog Traffic Through Social Media at BlogHerFood 2012. Kalyn's Kitchen has received some nice mentions in print media and other places on the web, and I appreciate all the publications and sites who have featured my work.
Kalyn's Kitchen Through the Years:
(These are the anniversary posts I've made each year on the birthday of my blog.)
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns OneKalyn's Kitchen Turns Two
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Three
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Four
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Five
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Six
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Seven
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Eight
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Nine
Kalyn's Kitchen Turns Ten (!)


No comments:
I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment on Kalyn's Kitchen! I love hearing from people who stop by, especially if you're sharing feedback or asking questions about a recipe I've posted here.
I've recently changed my comment settings so people can comment without signing in, but you will need to check the box to show you're a live person, and comments on older posts won't show up until I publish them. Thanks for understanding!
And if you really like the recipe, Pins, Shares, Tweets, and Yums are always appreciated!